Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day 62: Coincidence or Providence?

Sometimes we have a hard time determining what is just a coincidence or the hand of God. I think it depends on what you mean by each of those terms. When I think of coincidence, I think of luck or good fortune or some strange, uncanny circumstance. When I think of providence, I think of God's sovereignty over all things, little or small.

I would say that there isn't such a thing as a coincidence, as I have described it. We've all seen the person "led" to do something and then "led" to do another, back and forth, moving with how they are "moved". That's not providential. God doesn't contradict Himself or change like shifting shadows.

That is spiritualizing something unnecessarily.
I don't know what to call this incident, but I kind of lean towards an act of gracious providence.

I'll explain.

When we got the mail yesterday, my husband opened a letter from the unemployment department. His benefits were done. We had no warning. We didn't understand how the system worked and had no idea that it would "run out". In fact, we were quite dependant on that unemployment check that we got weekly. We needed that plus my income to make ends meet.

Tuesday we learned that Casey was offered a job.

Wednesday we learned that Casey wouldn't get any more unemployment money.

If those two events had switched, there would have been a stressful response in our home. Then there would be peace, knowing that the Lord will provide, but still, there would be a moment of distress. I think that's an act of gracious providence. I also think that the timing of employment coming is an act of gracious providence. God has consistently shown that He is actively caring and providing for our family.

What do you think?

Coincidence or Providence?

No comments: