Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day 6: Consistency is Consistently Difficult

For three nights in a row, our daughter has decided that any reason that pops into her head is worth getting out of bed for- and getting punished for. I know that being consistent in setting boundaries and requiring obedience is what I'm supposed to do. And I also know that in doing so, I'm honoring God by being faithful to His charge of teaching my children.

But sometimes I just don't want to. At the end of the day, in a day that can often be filled with consistency in discipline, I'm not in the mood for the last battle.

But I know what is right. And I know what is good. And I know what is best. Because I love my daughter, I will require her obedience. If she understands and knows the love of her mother and father, then she can know the love of her Heavenly Father. And if she knows how to obey her parents; she will know what it is to obey her Maker.

So I am grateful that He will fill in that gap for me. Where I am not consistent or fail, He never will. And where He gives me the grace to discipline and disciple as I ought, He will bless.

Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
Galatians 6:9

As for you, brothers,do not grow weary in doing good.
2 Thessalonians 3:13

*sigh* Deep breath, and go...



No comments: