Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 4: Nahor Married WHO?!

"Great are the works of the Lord, studied by all who delight in them." Psalm 111:2

I guess you can say that Psalm 111 is a sort of credo that I have adopted this year. I intend to memorize it and study it. I think there is so much there. One of the first things that stood out to me in the psalm is the second verse. I've been thinking about this. How can I follow this? How can I apply this? The works of God are indeed great, and delighting in them should lead to studying them. At least that's how I see this verse being applicable. And I know that as God's word, where His works are revealed, is studied, I delight in Him more and in the mighty works of His hands.

It can be easy to let the words on the page of scripture grow dull and maybe even familiar, but I know that when I strive to dig in deeper and understand what the text is actually saying, it's very enriching. I'm thankful for that.

For instance, I was reading in Genesis the other day, and really paid attention to some of the details of Abram's family (later named Abraham, the father of the nation of Israel, through whom Jesus Christ came). My husband and I discussed some of these interesting details, and he looked briefly at some commentaries. And I got to thinking about how amazing it is that God chose to use Abram to bless all the world. His background and family ties aren't exactly pure. (You can look it up, and see if you catch the interesting marriages listed towards the end of Genesis 11.)

I think this is a great example of how you can just read through things (especially those genealogies!) and not really see all that's there. If I didn't dig in a little and pay attention, I wouldn't have known what kind of family Abram came from, nor would I now have an even deeper appreciation of the great work that God did in the life of this patriarch. I am so delighted that He chose such a man.

I am so delighted that He has chosen such a woman as me.

No comments: