Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 11: Optics Learnin'

I just passed my first anniversary at LensCrafters where I am an "eyewear consultant". There is a lot more to getting glasses than just picking out some frames to stick lenses in that magically make you see better. A lot more.

It took about six months to feel remotely comfortable understanding prescriptions and having some basic knowledge of what in the world I was doing. And as I hit a year, I'm having "optician moments", in which I actually have a clue of how to fix optical problems or know what kind of lens is right for a certain prescription. It may seem lame, but this is a big encouragement and victory to me! Just this evening I worked with a co-worker on the lensometer (a funny gadget that reads lenses in glasses), and I actually felt a little proficient!

Again, this may not seem like that big of deal, but it is to me. I really want to do well when I help people. Picking out a pair of glasses that are comfortable and stylish and that you can see well out of and meets all your needs is very important to me. I've had times when because of my limited optical knowledge, I've missed a detail that an experienced optician wouldn't. And when that happens, I just feel awful!

But with this anniversary, I feel like I'm turning a new corner. I'll be studying to take the American Board of Opticianry exam to be a certified optician in May. And I think that will be a neat experience.

So I'm just thankful that I can learn these things and in learning them, I'm going to help others. I hope that I can continue to bless the people I come in contact with and give them a positive experience as I help them look and see better. The entire experience of working where I do has been such an edifying journey and a sweet grace blessing.

No comments: