Friday, January 14, 2011

Day 14: If You Can Number the Stars

I am reading my way through Genesis, and this morning I read about God's promise to Abram. I can't hardly wrap my mind around what it must have been like to be him. First, God spoke to him! Wow! Second, the promises made to him are amazing! In his old age, God promises that he will have a son, and that son will lead to a great nation. To top that, all nations will be blessed through Abram.(though this part of the promise isn't revealed quite yet in chapter 15, but I know what is coming!) And Abram is promised some serious land for his descendants. The Lord says to him, "Fear not, Abram, I am your shield; your reward shall be very great." (Genesis 15:1b) No kidding!

And he [God] brought him [Abram] outside and said, "Look toward heaven, and number the stars, if you are able to number them."
Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be."
And he believed the Lord, and he counted it to him as righteousness.
Genesis 15:5-6

I'm thankful for Abram's faith, that he believed the Lord. Tomorrow I'll read about how he tried to take matters into his own hands, but for now, in chapter 15, his faith is more sure. I'm thankful that God used a man like Abram and a woman like Sarai to make a heritage that would bring us the Christ.

This is what I love about the Old Testament. The name of Jesus is whispered throughout it. And I didn't even mention that I read about Melchizedek! Melchizedek!

That alone is absolutely fascinating.

I am delighting in the works of the Lord in the Old Testament. 

Great are the works of the Lord,
studied by all who delight in them.
Psalm 111:2

No comments: