Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day 13: Trailblazer

Every Thursday we meet with a small group for Bible study. There are several things that I really like about this group, but one of them is that it is so diverse. Ages vary, marital statuses vary, and life stages vary. It is beautiful. It's beautiful because we come together each week to pray for each other and study God's Word together, and it's beautiful because in our group we represent so many parts of the body of Christ.

Tonight we surprised one of the couples in our group with a baby shower. They are expecting their first, and it was a sweet opportunity to bless them and reflect on what godly parenthood looks like. My husband shared a short devotional that was applicable whether you are a parent, grandparent or not even there yet!

I can't get into it tonight, or really I won't because I have one of my yucky headaches coming on (yes, I have such dedication to keeping up on my 365-day challenge thankyouverymuch!) and because of that I just don't feel as sharp as a normally am (stop laughing), but I will share something that stood out that I want to praise the Lord for tonight.

For it was fitting that he [Christ], for whom and by whom all things exist,
in bringing many sons to glory,
should make the founder of their salvation perfect through suffering.
Hebrews 2:10

1. I am so thankful for who Christ is. All things exist by Him and through Him and for Him. May He be glorified in all things! Amen?!
2. Christ is the founder of our salvation. Other translations use the word "author", but what the Greek word really means is similar to "pioneer" or what I would also think of as "trailblazer". It is a term that means someone who has gone ahead and made way for others. Christ did that for us! He became a servant, taking on human flesh, giving up the glory of heaven, to blaze a trail for us. He lived a perfect life that we can't. He died in our place on the cross, and in His resurrection we have life in Him. Hallelujah!

There's more. There's much more, and there is much more to be written- and probably has been written, though not by me obviously. It's a humbling thing, sitting down and writing about such marvelous things that the Lord has done. And it is an act of self-control to not write a book at times. But I try to be concise.

My dear husband is in the home stretch of finishing his masters degree. At the beginning of his last semester, upon receiving his syllabus for one class, he saw that one of his papers was to be "concise, comprehensive, and complete as possible." I guess that's what I'm aiming for here, if that's even possible. 

But I digress.

Time to nip it in the bud. Goodnight. 

No comments: