Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day 15: Nose Pads and Mini Tabasco

The two highlights of my day are very simple, but I am so thankful for simple things. If we cannot take pleasure in the little gifts that God gives, then what in the world are we doing?!

Highlight Number One: Delighting Customers.
Today was my first day back to work in three days, and I appreciated the break as well as the rest- well, it was rest-like. At LensCrafters won of our missions is to: "Delight every customer every time." I like that. It's simple, and it's the right thing to do. And today I truly enjoyed taking care of people. I had a gentleman in with very specific optical needs, and I was so pleased to be able to find just the right product for him. He was absolutely thrilled with my help, and I can't wait until he gets his glasses. Having those glasses is going to really help his quality of life, and that makes me happy. I am so thankful that I can help someone in that way every time I go to work.

Highlight Number Two: International Imports of Little Import
After work I went to World Market with a co-worker, and it was so fun exploring the store. It was nice to have a little outing as an adult, and discover the interesting things they have in the store like mini Tabasco bottles. You could buy a six-pack of mini Tabasco bottles to pack in your lunch, you know, so you can have a little spice in your life. They also had travel-like sizes of Nutella. I was able to buy Christmas ornaments for my children for a total of $2.49. How delightful is that?
They had such lovely things there, none of which I needed or really wanted, but it was fun to look at it all just the same and enjoy time with a friend.

That's it. Nothing profoundly spiritual or deep, and really, this is what I'm glad for tonight. Praising God doesn't always have to be "deep". Sometimes it's as simple as helping someone discover softer nose pads that don't hurt their nose or finding interesting things that I've never seen before. All things, deep and shallow, large and small, that bring any level of joy, are gifts of grace. To not acknowledge God for little things is just as sad as it would be to deny Him praise for the mighty things.

No comments: