Sunday, January 2, 2011

Day 2: The Lord's Day

This morning I struggled to get up. It was just one of those mornings. This last week I worked over forty hours, and I'll be honest- I just struggled a bit with having the wrong attitude. I had generally been a Negative Nelly, and that's just not the way I would like to roll. That's just not the way that I'm going to live a life that brings glory to my King every single day.

So of all days that I really needed to get out of bed, it was this day. The Lord's Day. (That's a term people don't use much anymore, and I don't really know why. Just so you know. I think it should be used more.) Praise the Lord for my husband, who could have taken pity on me and thought, "Oh let her sleep. I"ll take the kids to second service while Kelly goes to work and misses church." But no. He's better than that. In a gentle way that only my husband has, he weaseled me out of bed, and although we were late, we got there.

And that's what I'm thankful for today. I'm thankful that I was among God's people today. I was with my eternal family- at least a very small portion of it.

"And I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb. And the city has no need of the sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb. By its light the nations walk, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it, and its gates will never be shut by day- and there will be no night there." Revelation 21:22-25 (emphasis added)

One of the pastors of our church returned just recently from an 18-day mission to South Africa. He shared with us all about being in a service worshipping our Lord God the Almighty, and in that service there were several people groups. But in Christ we are all one people, made of all nations. He read the above passage concerning the New Jerusalem, and highlighted the words that I did- that nations are in eternity.

I am thankful for that today. I am thankful that the gospel is for all nations and all peoples, and that one day there will be no separation. There will be no prejudice. The invisible lines between races and peoples will be gone, and together, with one voice, each from our own nation, we will give glory to God for all eternity.

That will be a good day.

No comments: