Friday, June 10, 2011

Day 161: Talkative Neighbor

I was looking forward to a quiet train ride home. I thought I would be able to read plenty and was prepared to attempt reading Timothy Keller's Prodigal God in its entirety. I thought that I would maybe take a little bit of a nap. I don't know. I just thought that my train ride home would be different than what it was.

Like many things in my life, it didn't turn out the way I thought. It was generally quiet. I read a good part of the book I wanted to. I did not nap, at all.

I sat by a talkative gal. You know, a friendly person that chit chats, and makes polite conversation. You know, one of those people. Ahem. Like I am sometimes. Ahem.

Uh, anyway...

I got to know my neighbor because that's what you do, when you're next to someone who is a talker, and when you are a talker yourself. I learned that we both have children the same age. We both got married in the same year, and we were both on the train due to visits to friends. So that was kind of cool.

In the course of sitting next to this woman, I also shared with her about Casey's book. She thought that was pretty cool, and asked what it was about. I showed her my e-reader, and she proceeded to read about half the book!

I will tell you, I was having a difficult time paying attention to Keller's wonderful book. I kept praying that the battery on the reader would hold out. I prayed that the message of the book would be used. I prayed that I would get to open up conversation that might lead to sharing the gospel. It was a wonderful distraction!

I have no idea what she thought of what my husband wrote, nor do I know what affect the words of truth in the book may have had. What I do know though, is that she read about the gospel whether I personally got to share it or not!

She gave little feedback, and what little she did share was positive and had no bearing on whether she was thinking about the contents or its truth. All I can do is just simply pray that whatever she absorbed may bud into bloom in her heart.

So, I'm glad that things didn't go how I wanted them to go.

Yes, Lord, give me the talkative neighbor that I may share your truth. 
Use me in whatever way you see fit.

No comments: