Sunday, May 15, 2011

Days 130-135: Pilgrim's Optician's Progress

I have felt as if I have been in an isolated cave with things like slab-off, anismetropia, fusion, decentration, effective power, vertex distance, and a host of other technical terms that an optician knows. I have lived with study for the American Board of Opticianry exam looming before me, and I have emerged into the blinding sunlight.

I'm on the other side of the test.

I couldn't help but think of this as I walked out of the examination room. I remember in Bible class in high school, we would watch a still picture animated movie of Pilgrim's Progress. (I am grieved to tell you that I haven't read it personally, but it's on my list. Trust me.) I don't know how you have a still picture animated movie, but that's my description of it nonetheless.

Anyway, a part of the story that I have always loved is when the Pilgrim loses his burden. There he is, carrying around this tremendous weight that is dragging him down. He labors under it, and then it is taken away.

Today, that was my feeling. I have been carrying the weight and stress of studying for this test, and now I am free. I felt so light leaving the college campus today as I walked away from that exam room. I was free. I felt good about the effort I put forth. I felt good about my performance in the test.

Because it reminded me of Pilgrim's Progress, I was also drawn to look at my own salvation and rejoice over the burden that has been taken away at such a great cost.

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Matthew 11:28
A lot of people look at this verse and think of it as a peace-giving type of verse. I don't think that's wrong, but I think there's more to it than just, "Hey, follow me, and I'll make things better for you." I think Christ is calling to those who are burdened with sin, guilt, and self-righteousness. All who come to him are free of those things. He took my sin. He took my guilt. He became my righteousness. I have freedom, rest, in Christ. 

Walking away from my optician's test reminded me of that today. I am free in Jesus. He gives me rest from my self-righteous works, my shortcomings and guilt. That is a marvelous burden to have lifted!

No comments: