Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 150: A Butterfly Emerges

After dinner our family started doing different things. Haddon needed a bath, so he was getting un-stinkified while Norah and I began a game. I happened to look at our butterfly garden, and behold, one of the butterflies had emerged! I was pumped! Norah was pumped! As I looked frantically in vain for the camera to record Haddon's reaction, I tried keeping Norah from spilling the beans.

Alas, the camera wasn't found. So I don't have my boy's reaction to our new wonder, but there's something special that happened in this experience.

"Haddon," I asked, "what is your butterfly's name?"

"Pinky!" he replied without hesitation.

That is a first. We have asked Haddon many times to name a personal stuffed animal or the like, and he has never ever given a name to anything without much help. Maybe that doesn't seem like a big deal, but to me it is! It's a developmental advancement to do such a thing. Children begin to name things on their own at a much earlier age in general, but my son never has.

Tonight was just one more thing that reminds me that, like a caterpillar that turns into a chrysalis that turns into a butterfly, my son just needs time to blossom into all that the Lord is making him into. And I know that will continue his whole life, as it does for all of God's people, but for Haddon, we have always been very watchful for the signs of growth, much like we watch and have waited on these marvelous little creatures that are in our butterfly garden. We revel in any new development. We rejoice in any advancement. We give God glory for every little thing that He does- whether it be the process of a caterpillar becoming a butterfly, or our own sweet boy blossoming into all that God would make him.

You are a mighty God, worthy of all honor and praise! 
I praise you for making Haddon exactly who he is, 
and I trust you to do the work you have to do in his life in your time and for your glory!

No comments: