Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Day 137: I Hit a Bird

Yesterday, I hit a bird on my way picking up my daughter from school. Boy, do I not like hurting things! It was awful. The bird was just sitting there in the middle of the road, and thinking that it was a normal bird, I thought it would fly away as I approached it with the car on the country road. No. It just sat there until it was too late.

My husband asked me why I didn't move so that I wouldn't hit it, but it wasn't really a road that I could do that safely. Country roads are generally best driven within your own lane. The consequences of going outside that lane could be worse than hitting a bird.

What made the whole affair worse, was this I looked in my rear view mirror. Why?! So I could see the poor creature fall over like a toppling domino, that's why. Doesn't everyone want to see that? It was just instinct. I wish I hadn't seen it. It made my heart sink. It made me feel mean and cruel. I let out an "Oh no!" in a sort of groan-like manner.

My son responded to my outburst with sincere concern, "What happen mama?" He asked me sweetly.

"I killed a bird."

"Kill a bird!"

"Yes, son. The bird died."

There was more to the conversation, but you get the gist. I admitted my act of treachery, and it was taken as an interesting fact in my son's day.

That one little act reminded me of how quick things can happen and change. One minute there was a bird in God's world, and the next, here comes Kelly, the Cruella DeVil-like lady driver out to hurt innocent birds. It's a reminder to me that I should cherish every day that God is given me, and that by his grace, he allows all things to come my way, both what I would consider good and bad. All are from his hand, and all are for my best.

No comments: