Sunday, July 24, 2011

Day 203: You Can't Take It With You

Husband is currently helping teach a Sunday school class about the theology of money, and over and over again is this idea that we brought nothing into this world and we're not taking anything out of it. So, we might as well bless others with it, storing up treasures in heaven and investing in things that are eternal.


I thought about this especially when we were at that estate sale where Norah and I got our tea cups. Estate sales are different from garage sales. When there's an estate sale it means that someone has passed away, and all the things that are left behind are sold to strangers for extremely discounted prices so that they move fast. Garage sales, are just a purging of belongings from time to time in our lives so that we're not overtaken by our own junk. Both are great places to find deals or just be entertained by what others have in their possessions.

It struck me though how true that idea is of not taking anything with you. Whoever it was who left this world had nothing to take into the next. Every toiletry, clothing item, and piece of furniture stayed in this world. She or he had nothing with them when they met their Maker.

So looking through a house full of things that were collected over the years, made me feel like making sure that I don't bother hoarding possessions just for the sake of holding on to them. I want to have what I have for a reason, and use all that I have to bring God glory.

That's what lasts. I'm going to be judged on that, covered by the blood of Christ where I fall short, and rewarded by God for where his grace enabled me to bring him glory.

Simple as that. The thought brings both comfort and fear. I don't want to miss out on any, "Well done, my good and faithful servant" moments. Those are all too precious.

No comments: