Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 97: Mushifying Mind

Now see, I waited until too late in the day to put together this post. My mind is mushifying as it generally begins to shut down every night at about 9:45, and seeing as I'm looking at the clock and it's 9:58, my mind is fading pretty fast. In fact, when it hits the top of this hour, that's just about when it expires, and I am absolutely good for nothing.

I have been mulling over what I would have to say today, and really, I'm not thinking of anything. This would shock my mother since I almost always have something to say. My mouth tends to be the most active part of my body, but right now, saying something through type isn't coming.

So, what do I do with that? I can think of a bunch of things that I'm thankful for, but I don't want to just fill a post just because I'm supposed to fill a post. As mushy as my mind is, I know that there is something that I can take and reflect back to God's glory.

Okay... I went onto Google Reader, and looked at the ESV verse of the day. So I'm going to simply look at that, and meditate on that a bit. We'll see where this mushified mind goes.

But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name,
he gave the right to become children of God....
John 1:12
 
So that's the verse for today. Obviously that is such great and amazing statement. But there's a problem with this. This is in the middle of a thought. Even with my brain starting to shut down, I can gather that (besides general familiarity with the passage- wink, wink). And I have always been taught, context, context, context. If I'm going to think of this verse, I have to look at the verses around it.
 
The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world.
He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him.
He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him.
But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
John 1:9-14

Oh, now this is just fantastic. Sometimes I forget the profound beginning of John's gospel, and I am not just referring to the first verse, which is just so key to so many things; but this few set of verses is jam packed! In this you have the eternality of Christ (the world was made through Him, going back to the first verse of the chapter) and His role in creation. There is the rejection of Christ, and the doctrine of adoption for those who did receive Him. How we come to Christ is in this also, not by blood, or the will of flesh or man BUT through God. (There's one of those "but God's" that my husband's book reminds you to look for.) Christ's humanity, and His divinity are referred to in this section of verses: becoming flesh, and being called the Son.

Okay, so this is just too much.

Now I'm completely overwhelmed and too many thoughts are going through my mind about all the amazing things that we are if we are in Christ.

I'm going to focus on the verse in the middle though.

I am His child. I am a child of Most High God. It is nothing that I did, of my own will, but through God. Nobody on earth willed it, but God. My husband's right. Those words are indeed the heart of the gospel. I am so humbled and give praise to God that there is the "but God" in my life.

Thank You Father, that I am Your child. Not that I did it, but You did.


No comments: