Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day 55: Dreams Aren't Always What We Dreamed

"I'm going to be an artist when I grow up."

That's what my daughter says. It's funny. I used to say that.

I used to think that I would grow up to simply create art and sell it and that's what I would be. Of course I would also get married, and I would have three kids.

You know, at the heart of that dream is something really simple. I wanted to do something that I love to do, and marry someone who loved me. And the two of us would have a family together.

That was the dream. For a little girl of five years old, it meant drawing and painting. It meant being a mommy and being a wife.

For a woman of nearly thirty, the dream is to still be a wife and mommy. The man is more than what I dreamed. The number of children is different. And what I do, outside of those two things doesn't matter as much, but thankfully, I do love what I do.

Sometimes I have to stop and just stand in awe of the fact that my little girl dreams came true. It just wasn't exactly what I dreamed.

It's better.

Why?

God planned it.

I didn't.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil,
to give you a future and a hope.
Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: