Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day 37: A Parchment is the Sky

The Love of God
(By Frederick M. Lehman)

Could we with ink the ocean fill
And were the sky of parchment made,
Were every stalk on earth a quill
And every man a scribe by trade,
To write the love of God above
would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole
though stretched from sky to sky.
 
(Refrain)
O love of God, how rich and pure!
How measureless and strong!
It shall forever more endure,
the saints and angels' song.

This is a hymn we sang in church this morning. I put in the parts that tend to really move my heart. To describe the love of God is a massive task, and the author of this beautiful hymn paints a vivid picture of the vast love of God. This is what I'm thinking of today. 

1 comment:

Shelle said...

One of my favorite hymns.

And thank you, Kelly, for you're comment. I want to look up that book today and see about getting it.