Thursday, February 10, 2011

Day 41: Birthday Mom

Strength and dignity are her clothing and she laughs at the time to come.
Proverbs 31:25


I've learned a lot of things from my mother, but one of the greatest examples she has shown me is in recent months. She has been a pillar of strength and dignity as she has fought her fight against breast cancer. Nobody's perfect. There were moments that I'm sure she handled better than others, but for the most part, she has set an example for me of what a seasoned veteran of the faith looks like in trials.

I wasn't sure how my mother would respond to the ups and downs of this journey. She has been at peace with the process and has demonstrated a faith in the sovereignty of God throughout it all.

Like the true mother that she is, she has had more concern for my sister and myself rather than herself.

She only has a few more weeks of radiation therapy to go, and we pray that all will be clear and that cancer is a thing of the past for my mom.

The thing that I have taken away from this experience is how proud I am of the woman of faith that my mother is. I am proud that I am her daughter. I am thankful that she has been taken care of in such a wonderful way. Her heart has been protected. Her body has had strength. Her will has been strong. 

I hope that I can set the same example to my daughter that my mother has set for me. I hope that I will have such peace and security in God Most High that it will always make my children proud. 

Like I am.

Her children rise up and call her blessed...
Proverbs 31:28a

No comments: