Saturday, November 5, 2011

Day 307: Not even gonna try...

... to catch up on what I have missed. I just missed a bunch. October ran away with me, and that's all there is to it.

October held Upward Flag Football and Cheerleading, and we had both kids involved. Both of us were head coaches. I. Am. Not. A. Cheerleader. I'm going to be honest, and it's not something that I am proud of; but I used to think that cheerleading was really dumb. I thought it was too easy to be called a "sport". I thought it was silly that people could get varsity letters in high school cheerleading.

My tune has changed. It's not easy. I would practice and practice my brains out until I could learn a simple cheer. You have to have an awareness of what all your limbs are doing at the same time. I don't do that. I lack full body awareness, and it became a running joke on our squad about how many times Coach Kelly would mess up.

Yeah, I'll take a big, heaping piece of that humble pie, thankyouverymuch.

Getting through the Upward season was a challenge for me. I'm not one to do things unless they are easy. It's not something that I'm proud of, and I believe that God brought me to this task to show me this character flaw for his glory. If there is something that is too much of a challenge, I tend to just let it go. I could not do that this season. Nope. I was the coach. I had to be there. I had to actually teach these poor unsuspecting 6 and 7 year-old girls how to perform tasks that I could barely do.

Big. Slice. Please.

I'm so grateful for it though. God showed me that I can't just bail on things that are too difficult and that I need to try new things and stretch myself. If I don't, then I may miss our on a big blessing. I had eleven girls on my squad that I got to share the gospel with multiple times. By the end of the season, some of them were clinging to me and giving me huge bear hugs.

I guess it didn't matter if I could teach them a herky. (Oh yes I did just bust out some cheerleading jargon!)

___

In October, I also plugged along teaching Sunday school. I'm really loving my little ones. We have a blast. It's interesting what they remember. The biggest thing that they like, that I do, is I sing a good morning song. They love it! I love that they love that. God is so good to allow me the privilege of teaching these children every week.

___

One word. Disneyland.

We went to Disneyland. It is the happiest place on earth, and we were so excited to go. The kids hadn't a clue that we were leaving, and we told them the morning of. And they were so good the whole time. The only breakdowns that occurred were fatigue-induced, and that is just to be expected to some degree.

I may or may not elaborate more on that subject. It just depends on what comes to mind.

___

Finally, and I will not get into it a lot, but we are finally at the point where we feel that the time is right to start adopting. I did a little fundraiser, which will keep going until the 12th to get us started a bit, and it's just an exciting thing.

I will get into that more later, believe me.

___

In other news, I only spent $3.50 on Halloween, and that's only because our children chose to be bugs. It was too easy to put together bug costumes for myself and my husband. We were a spider, butterfly, ladybug, and bee respectively. We had a very buggy Halloween.

And I still haven't watched Luther this year marking the anniversary of when Luther posted the 95 Theses. I find this unacceptable, but what are you going to do?
___

God is good. He is good all the time. He's good when I mess up the words in a cheer, and he's good when I see smiling faces on kiddos at Sunday school. He's good when I spin with my family in a giant teacup. He's good when he guides my path. He's good when I tape giant black dots on my shirt and wear black Fuzzoodles on a headband.

No comments: