Tuesday, March 3, 2009

What a Groom Gives

This weekend I traveled to California to watch our friend Bryan get married. When he and his bride exchanged rings, I couldn't help but think of all the things that he would be required or asked to give his new wife. I thought of what my husband gives every day, and that the way he loves me and our family is a gift of grace as he reflects Christ.

Throughout our six years of marriage, my husband has given so many things. Presents, sure, but so much more. He leads me and our family. He considers my opinion when decisions are to be made; I have a voice in the direction we take. He gently rebukes me. He encourages me. He works to provide for me and our children- and believe me, the work has sometimes been a task he did not like, but he will always work a job or do whatever he needs to in order to provide. He forgives me, and he comforts me in hard times. He teaches me. He is on my side and shares the same dreams as me.

When a groom gives his bride a ring, he is promising to continue to give, and give, for the rest of their lives. I am so thankful for a husband who understands this, and though he doesn't do it perfectly, he models Christ's love for the church in how he relates to me.

No comments: