Sunday, January 11, 2009

Counting Down to 6


In just a matter of weeks my husband and I will be celebrating six years of marriage. Wow!


I think I'll do a little counting of blessings.




In our first year of marriage, we got our first taste of waiting. We waited and waited to see where God would lead us in ministry. While searching for ministry positions on various job boards, Casey worked as an auto detailer, and hated just about every minute of it. I remember one day he came home early because he twisted his knee in a very odd way. That knee has never been the same since.


I worked for Old Navy, and then got a job with Key Bank. I worked both jobs for a while until I was able to be nearly full-time with the bank.


Finally, it came. The ministry we were supposed to go to. Casey was called to be youth pastor of First Baptist Church in Woodland, CA. We visited, and liked what we saw there. We didn't have a clue what we were doing in a lot of ways. I guess you could say we were very green.


Before we celebrated our first year of marriage, we moved, for the first time in either of our lives to another town, another state. But it was New Years Day 2004, when we tried to move. And we didn't make it very far. Snow pummeled the state of Oregon, and I-5 was closed. We had to wait until the next day. But we made it.


We adjusted to life away from family and to a duplex with green carpet. We went to see Big Fish at one of the little theaters in Woodland to celebrate that anniversary.

No comments: