Friday, November 7, 2008

Leaning

We've almost lived in Oregon for a week, and I can mark that a week ago today we were getting all the loose ends of our home in Colorado packed away for the journey here. A big yellow Penske truck was sitting in our driveway almost full, and I was starting the process of clearing everything out but mattresses and some suitcases.

This week, today, the house is closed and new occupants are moving in. There's a check in the mail that will provide for us while my husband still diligently searches for work in one of the worst economic times in recent history.

I am in the process of helping my grandmother reduce her possessions so that she can move into independent living. When she moves out, we will live in her home.

It's a lot.

I find that at times, the grace given to me is just enough to lean. I find that I simply lean on His everlasting arms. I've been thinking of the hymn.

Since 2004 I have continued to grow a greater and greater love for old hymns. They are full of truth and doctrine. When we sing them, we will often find ourselves preaching to ourselves. So today I'm leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms... safe and secure from all alarms.


Leaning on the Everlasting Arms

What a fellowship, what a joy divine,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
What a blessedness, what a peace is mine,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

Refrain

Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

O how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
O how bright the path grows from day to day,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

Refrain

What have I to dread, what have I to fear,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
I have blessed peace with my Lord so near,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

Refrain

1 comment:

mostly ugly said...

Kelly, i love reading your blog. It is so encouraging and it softens my heart and spirit. That you for sharing so honestly. Song of Songs 8:5 "Who is this coming up from the wilderness, Leaning on her beloved?"