Sunday, September 14, 2008

Maker of the Hills

I lift up my eyes to the hills.
From where does my help come?
My help comes from the LORD,
who made heaven and earth.

He will not let your foot be moved;
he who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, he who keeps Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.

The LORD is your keeper;
the LORD is your shade on your right hand.
The sun shall not strike you by day,
nor the moon by night.

The LORD will keep you from all evil;
he will keep your life.
The LORD will keep
your going out and your coming in
from this time forth and forevermore.
Psalm 121
The opening verses of this psalm came to mind the other day as I was walking to get the mail. Living in Colorado, on the western slope, we are surrounded by hills and mountains. To the north of us we can see the Bookcliffs, with Mt. Garfield on the end. To the east we can see the Grand Mesa, which is so tall that it eclipses the mighty Rockies on the other side. And to the west we see the burnt orange rock of the Redlands with the Colorado National Monument. When I looked up at these hills and mountains I couldn't help but think about where my help comes from. The Maker of the mountains, the Painter of the rocks and the Sculptor of the hills is my stronghold.
What a beautiful reminder that the mighty mountains have their strength from my mighty God. When the ground I stand on seems to shift and I feel as though I am in sinking sand, I know that there is a Solid Rock on which I can stand.
What a privilege it is to know that when I need help, it comes not from my own wisdom or on the other side of worrying or fretting. It comes from the LORD- Yahweh- Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let me slip or fall. He will uphold me with His righteous right hand.

No comments: