Tuesday, August 26, 2008

$30 and Gold 'n' Soft

With the economy the way it is, and with no end in near sight, I know that many can relate to making every dollar stretch- especially grocery money! So when we found ourselves really strapped when it came to our grocery budget this month, it made me feel a little discouraged. Knowing that the Lord would provide what we need, and looking at the numbers is sometimes hard to reconcile!

To add to the pressure of money, was a looming need for Haddon to have some braces to straighten his feet (they are turning in and require some correction). I was preparing to make a phone call to our medical insurance to ask a couple questions, and as I looked for his insurance card- there it was: thirty dollars! I was already planning on going to the grocery store that day and was dreading it a bit, but the thirty dollars made me feel a little better.

At the grocery store we had just finished. But as we were heading to the checkout, of course that's when I remember that we needed more margarine. Margarine is in the back of the store- so off we went! I'm looking at the shelves of dairy products in front of me, and then I see it: Gold 'n' Soft.

Gold 'n' Soft is a margarine that I grew up using. My husband grew up on it, and his parents continue to buy it. It is cheap, melts well, and tastes good. Having lived in another state on a couple different occasions, I have experienced that Gold 'n' Soft is hard to find. Never did I find it in California. Only one or two other times have I seen it here in Colorado, but that day the butter/margarine section was full of Gold 'n' Soft!

I couldn't help but say with surprise in my voice, "Gold 'n' Soft!" as I reached for a couple tubs. It was a piece of home, in a way. Sometimes we miss being closer to family. Two Christmases in a row have been spent apart from loved ones, and it has been over a year since my husband has been able to see all of his family. We have a new nephew that was born three months ago, and Casey won't be able to see him for quite a bit. We have another niece or nephew that will be born next month, and we're not sure when we will get to meet him or her. Maybe a certain type of margarine isn't a big deal, but sometimes it can be a little piece of home.

And that's what it was for me that day. I little bit of everyday grace from above. How grateful I am for being worth more than lilies and birds, and for receiving gifts of grace.

No comments: