Friday, July 18, 2008

A Collection of Stories

I haven't posted in a while, but that doesn't mean that I have not experienced or have not seen everyday graces. Our lives have been full, as my husband was away for an entire week and will be leaving again in a few days. So I will share a few of the stories or experiences where God's grace has been abundantly sufficient and a blessing.

Single Moms

While Casey was away this last week, I was on my own with two little ones, and a household to maintain. I'm not complaining, but God laid some things on my heart that week.

I realized that I need to be praying for moms who are single. They have a daunting task before them to provide for their children's' basic needs by working, and balancing that with providing an active presence in their lives, disciplining and training, loving and discipling.

I found it difficult simply being home the whole time! I couldn't wrap my mind around that day in and day out of taking the kids to childcare or school, getting to work on time, and picking them up, packing lunches, cooing dinner, and getting errands done!

Oh, how the single moms in our lives need to be encouraged and supported! They need to be lifted up in prayer and given extra doses of grace to accomplish the mighty tasks ahead of them. God is good to remind me of these women- especially having been raised by a single mother myself.

Little Me

My daughter Norah is three. And these past few weeks she wants to dress like me, put her hair up like me, etc. The other day she asked if she could get a hair clip like the ones I put my hair in (one of those claw-looking things). One day I was wearing sneakers- so she wanted to wear sneakers. Today, I braided my hair in two braids and am wearing a royal blue shirt. Norah wanted to know where her royal blue shirt was so she could dress like me, and of course, her hair is in two braids today also. She doesn't have a blue shirt, so I had to convince her that both of us wearing tanks tops (though mine is underneath a shirt) is just as good.

Although it's something that I laugh at because nearly every day Norah finds some way to copy me, I am keenly aware that my little girl is watching me. She watches what I wear, what I say, and what my attitude is. She has already identified me and the parent that she is to model- just as Haddon will target my husband one day. It is very sweet to me to have a little girl, and as much as she challenges me, she blesses me. I only hope that I am a woman worth imitating.

Hugs and Kisses

Haddon, my 2-year-old, is a very cuddly guy. Even as an infant, he was the one who wanted to snuggle and cuddle. He would nuzzle into your neck or shoulder and was happy to be curled up in a person's lap. He is still like that- at least to the degree that a toddler can be snugly and cuddly! He is a very affectionate little boy, loves blowing kisses and laying his head on a loved one's shoulder. So you can only imagine how precious it is to get little kisses from him every day.

Norah, on the other hand, has never been a cuddler. Her dad held her in the hospital, and instead of wanting to be swaddled, had her arms and legs stretched out stiff. She has been on the move as soon as she knew how to be. But a few nights ago, I was given a rare treat by my little independent girl. I was telling her good night, and reached down to give a hug. To my surprise, she didn't just gently put her arms on my shoulders, but she actually embraced me and held me there for a moment- just a moment. As a walked away with a warm heart, I heard her little voice say, "Good night mom." And then my heart melted.

So there it is. It's really just a little bit of the joys that I've had in the last few weeks, but I was finally able to write something.

No comments: