Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I Cry Out

One of the greatest parts of God's daily grace to us is the fiery process of sanctification and conviction over sins. In the moment of seeing the holiness of God Almighty and the wretchedness of who I am, the cross is so clear. It was on the cross that my sins were paid for with the blood of Christ. As conviction overwhelms the spirit, all we can do is cry out for mercy to the God who is love. And in mercy found at the foot of the cross we must press on having made a commitment to prove true repentance- turning away from the filth we let consume our hearts that are to be faithful to our Lord.

I am up early this morning, because I feel the weight of all these things this morning: conviction, mercy, forgiveness, repentance- working together to refine my heart in the fire of God's grace to move me closer to the image of His Son.

The words of a worship song are stuck in my head. This is a song that I know we sang in youth group when I was in high school, but I can't remember if it was sung in the youth ministry that I served in before my husband and I were married. It really hasn't been sung my myself regularly since those times. So it has been a good five years since it has come to mind, really. But here it is, in my head, weighted in my heart:

I Cry Out
I cry out, for your hand of mercy to heal me.
I am weak, I need your love to free me.
Oh Lord, my Rock, my strength in weakness,
Come rescue me, oh Lord

For you are my hope,
and your promise never fails me
And my desire
is to follow you forever

For you are good, for you are good, for you are good to me.
For you are good, for you are good, for you are good to me.

I cry out, for your hand of mercy to heal me.

(Craig Musseau, 1990)

Psalm 41:4, "...I said, 'O Lord, be gracious to me; heal me,
for I have sinned against you!'"

No comments: