Thursday, August 6, 2009

I Had a Dream

Yesterday, I was dancing in the kitchen with my son, laughing and enjoying a good ol' snuggle. I was reminded of an experience I had in college.

I went to a local community college, and earned my 2-year associate degree- partly because I didn't know what I wanted to get a 4-year degree in, and partly for financial reasons. But whatever the reason for me being there, as an 18-year-old, I knew what a really wanted to be was a wife and mother. That didn't require a degree.

As I sat in Psych 101, the teacher went through the class asking what each student's educational goal was.

Uh. I didn't really have one- not that I devalued a good education, but really, my goal was not a career per se.

So when he came to me, I answered, "Well, I'm not sure what I want to pursue professionally, but what I really want to do is be a stay-at-home wife and mother."

His brow furrowed, and his expressive brown eyes pierced right into me, and so help me, every pair of eyes was on me too. For a moment, you would think that I had said that I wanted to run a Nazi concentration camp or something!

"Why would you sell yourself short like that?" he asked me.

I told him that I wasn't.

I was then ignored, and the class went on.

There are many thoughts that I could go into based off of this life experience, but something that stands out the most is simply that while I dance in the kitchen holding my 3-year-old son, I am living the life that I wanted.

I am married to a wonderful husband, who loves me and the Lord. He has given me two children to enjoy and invest in.

Whatever anyone's view is on staying home or "just being" a mom is, I don't really care. Because of God's grace, I am able to live a dream and hope that I had. With all the tears and triumphs, diapers and kisses, laughs and messes, I have the best career in the whole world.

No comments: