Monday, December 8, 2008

Working

Right now I am sitting at home without my husband in the house. He is out. He is out at work. That hasn't happened in about 3 months. It doesn't pay much, and we can't live on it. And it is temporary, but it is work.

So I'm a little weirded out that my love is out in the world, since I am not used to it. I am blessed to have the opportunity to get used to it, though!

I've been thinking about two words:
Sustained: to give support or relief to, and
Sufficient: enough to meet the needs of a situation or a proposed end.

With the help of Merriam-Webster Online, I have these definitions. A verse and a song keep coming to mind that are weighty with these words:
I Corinthians 12:9,
"...'My grace is sufficient for you,
for my power is made perfect in weakness.'
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses,
so that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
Sustained
by Someone I Don't Know
I'm sustained, O Lord.
When your light surrounds me the world goes away.
I'm sustained, O Lord.
My heart knows your love like it flows through my veins.
Such peace and contentment I've found in your grace,
I can't think why I've ever complained.
You love me.
What more could I want?
I'm sustained.
I'm satisfied by your love so completely.
How could I search for the praises of man?
There's nothing I need that you haven't provided.
'Cause no one can offer me peace like You can.
Jesus, your love is enough.
Sufficient for me.
All I have needed, You've given for free.
Your love is enough.
I don't need man's applause.
I know what I'm worth. I remember the cross.
I'm sustained, O Lord.
When your light surrounds me the world goes away.
I'm sustained, O Lord.
My heart knows your love like it flows through my veins.
Such peace and contentment I've found in your grace,
I can't think why I've ever complained.
You love me.
What more could I want?
I'm sustained.
Our family has the distinct privilege of being sustained. We are weak. We don't have answers. But we are being held up by Eternal Father. His grace is enough- an abundance give to us, really! This is a season when we remember the miracle of Christ's birth. We recognize that Christ gave up the glories of heaven to be man, and live a sinless life so that he could take our place on the cross. Such grace, the angels cannot even fathom! We have not had to tap into the equity that we got from the sale of our house in Grand Junction, and prayerfully, we won't have to. But for now, we have just enough to survive. Like the birds of the air and the lilies of the field, we are sustained.
Today, Casey is working. Maybe that will be just enough to survive December. Maybe that's what he will need to get into another job. Maybe.... well, only the Lord knows. We'll just have to wait.

No comments: